View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
philip
Regular User

I have beta, vhs and hi8 video. Only the hi8 has car stuff. Rest is family stuff. (I already have a digital hi8 camera, but there is too much tape to mess with doing it with the camera) (I had to pay $800 for a new beta player a while back and I was lucky to get it, at least it was beta hifi)

The Pinnacle device is what I think is called a break out box, the older one you plugged into a computer. This one is stand alone and you simple plug it into the analoge source and then pug it into an external hard drive. You push play on the source and record on the Pinnacle and it converts and downloads on the harddrive in 2gb files chuncks automatically. Supposedly you wash it though some program Pinnacle has on their website for free and it converts it so you can edit it.

I was going to buy a new FreeAgent drive (they are sooo cheap now at Fry's) and try and format it to fat32, but I dont want to have to become a computer genius in the mean time. Is this something mear mortals can do? I have already been warned that if I do it on my computer and I get the drive number wrong I am totally screwed.

Supposedly a 250gb external hard drive will hold 174 hours at 720i resolution which is the Pinnacle boxes maximum resolution.

One nice thing is that it will take it off my DVR recorded from cable and put it on my PSP. A 2 gig card will hold 2.5 hours at PSP resolution. Again no computer is required.