Thread: Lotus..
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #19
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
What is the turbo boost like when it kicks in Rob on the V8 and is it still at around 3K ?

I could never understand how the performance figures were still similar to the old 4 pot though considering it has twin turbos and a bloody great V8...yes I know there is a slight improvement in the top end....but still....
Not driven an SE (260 hp?) my GT3 had 240bhp. Biggest difference between that and the v8 is torque and lag. The v8 has huge torque compared to the 4 and no lag. In my GT3 off boost it was pretty useless, you'd sit there waiting for 3k+. The V8 is fast whatever gear you're in.

On a twisty road a v8 would not lose a well driven SE (remember the v8 only has +80bhp and is a little heavier than the 4). Difference is thought that the SE driver would be having to work a lot harder to keep the pace up. The V8 you can drive much more on the torque, plus react quicker to gaps in traffic or overtaking opportunities.
Open road (e.g. motorway abroad) a 4 cylinder would be blown away over 100+ mph. The v8 is simply awesome. Friend of mine had a 360 modena which was very similar performance - he had more at the top end (high revs) but the lotus had more lower down. That guy now has 550 maranello which IS quicker than the esprit once its moving
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote