Thread: Forza Vid 12:08
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 08:23 PM   #54
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
^^^ have you even checked out the screen shots for Forza it makes GT4 look like PS1??? I don't see the arcadey look either? when you watch this vid of Forza they even show you the suspension and the tires working on bumps and turns.

People who buy Forza do it for realistic everything from looks to mods to physics to gameplay to AI. And Forza won't need to use all of X-box. Having power is not the same as using power I don't think there has been a game to use the whole power of a console ever. BTW the GT4 pics that look great are in replay which is buffed to look better. Plus Forza doesn't need to compete with GT they're on two different consoles and SRS and Juiced suck compare to Forza hands down. Being on a different console gives the game a whole different community to sell to and only 20-30% of that community has xbox and Ps2 and 50-60% of the are getting both, 8-5% of them are getting Forza alone, 10-15% aren't getting racing games, 17% are getting GT4 alone.
I categorically disagree with you...the fact is that while it does look better than PGR2 and certainly better than GT1,2, and 3, (higher polygon count and higher resolution), the graphics still look fake...contrived to be eye candy as some of the other guys have already said. GT4 appeals to the people who are serious about racing and driving in and of itself. The physics of the GT series are unparalleled, I've played just about every game on the market that purports to be their equal and most can't even match up to GT1 even though it had bouncy corners. The cars "feel" like cars...you can sense minute attitude changes while driving. This is the bread and butter of the GT series...physics realism, not graphical perfection (a test at which I'm sorry to say Forza falls short as well) are the intent and the most important part of the game. I haven't found a game with decent AI either...none, the GT series can't do it very well, the NFS series are terrible, as is PGR2....nothing reacts like a real driver would. So don't pull some BS out about how it's wonderful in Forza, I'll believe it when I see it. As for the suspension and tires...have you looked at GT1 lately...yes, even GT1 had working suspension that was visible in replays and on the racetrack. As for permanent skid marks, those have been around forever...I can recall them as far back as 1991 in a DOS-based F1 game I had...not impressed.

As for the "arcadey" look...just look at where the tires meet the road, the way the shadows fall, the fact that the cars look placed on the road as if they're part of some Java applet. Even if the poly-count on GT4 is lower than that of Forza, think about these two things....1) in Forza, the cars look separate from the road surface and surroundings, whereas in GT4 (yes, even the race-footage) they look at one with their surroundings, and 2) The Xbox is a much more powerful system, so the fact that we're even deigning to compare the two says something about the realism that GT4 offers...the people behind Forza and PGR2 need to learn something from the Polyphony camp about realism, then they'll have a killer game and I'll need to buy an Xbox. Until that day...it's GT4 all the way.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote