View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #40
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
manual 6spd vs. 7spd SMG:

fuel mileage - SMG. With 7 gears you have a larger overdrive ratio which brings the revs in top gear much lower. ( to the top gearheads, i'm sorry if this sounds obvious. this is meant for someone who is wondering why you might need 7 gears). I know that on the FW26 this gear drops the revs by 500. I really don't know if the ratio was changed for the M5 so just how big of a reduction this is, is anyone's guess. A drop in revs is a hike in MPG and engine reliability. There's alot more stuff to list but not enough room.

interaction- 6 spd. clutch, shift, gas. repeat until satisfied
Yes!

long trips- SMG- either pull the paddles, slap the shift knob or leave it in automated mode and set the cruise. this is also an advantage in case some cuts you off and you have to panic brake, no worries about stalling out on the freeway. ( stalling out like that on the freeway sounds dumb, but depending on how bad you panic, your left leg may freeze, especially if it's on the foot rest)
I don't have any problem with a manual on long trips...actually that would be the area where there is the least difference between a manual and auto...I mean, you have to shift to get up to speed, but once there...no shifting. Yes, it is dumb to stall out on the highway...if you are driving the car you should be awake enough to press the clutch in to keep the car from stalling. :roll:

racing- SMG- hands down. more consistent launches, faster shifts, and less chance of a missed shift.
How many people go racing? Really, not many people take their cars to the track, at least not often enough to warrant spending the usual $7000-$10,000 premium of an F1 box.

stop and go traffic-SMG- computer controlled clutch = less slip. and a hill hold program helps in hilly cities
Hopefully the problems of older SMG/F1 boxes have been sorted out, and this isn't an issue anymore, but some F1s really do a number on the clutch, much worse than a normal person driving in traffic.

starting off- this is going to vary in the SMG depending on the shift program, but i think the 6spd is going to get this one.- At the present moment, there is too much lag in the SMG for my taste. And forget idling forward, if you aren't pressing on the gas, the car won't move.

these are just a few of things to think about. of course this is all IMO. everyone's individual tastes will vary.
I can't really comment too much on how SMGs fair on the road since I've never driven a car with one, but I have spoken to a Ferrari owner about it (I don't know how similar the SMG & F1 are...but I'd guess there can't be too much difference) He said he thought they were trash until he drove one (360 Challenge) on the track, where it is brilliant. However, he said it was worthless on the road, and he much preferred the manual on the road...his Ferrari 355 was a 6spd, so I guess so .

I know all the advantages of F1 boxes backwards and forwards, but I think it comes down to people getting lazier and lazier and not wanting to operate gear stick, clutch & gas; but still wanting the 'sportiness' of a manual.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote