View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
ae86_16v
Regular User

Having owned a E30 325i, E36 328i, and E36 M3, I gotta say both the E36 and E30 are excellent cars. Had the E30 325i and the M3 at the same time.

I find that the E30 is more sturdily built in terms of the German sense. Not that the E36 is bad, but the E30 feels a bit more solid. The E36's quality is still by far better than anything Japanese out of the same era.

In terms of feature and comfort, of course that will have to go to the newer car. Plus I like the rear suspension of the E36 more than the solid axel of the E30. Definitely helps in terms of being your only car and daily driving it. Of course the E30 is a bit more "tossable" because of the lighter weight, but I like the sure footed-ness of the E36.

I have driven both versions of the M3, and definitely if you categorized "Fun" - hard to define, but the E30 M3 is more "fun". More tossable, smaller car, etc, etc. But if I had to choose one of the M3s as a daily driver and "fun" car, I would take the E36 because of the torquey engine and the more comfortable features.

In terms of maintenance, I have had the fortune of good luck with all three of my cars. Nothing spectacular except for the usually routine maintenance. As with all BMWs the weak point is always the cooling system, so make sure you replace water pump, thermostat, hoses, and maybe even the radiator at regular intervals.

The E36 318is would be dog slow though, I think the E30 318is would be sportier between those two cars. The E36 is just too heavy for the 4 Cylinder engine, and is better matched w/ the inline 6. Plus the E30 318is at least in the US is more desireable.

So between the two cars, I would take the E30, but if you could afford a 6 Cylinder, definitely try to look for a E36 as it is a better car all around.

Good luck.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote