View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
sameerrao
Regular User

BTW, the 18-55 lens is considered to be a good purchase... this is what I read here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#digital

"Mid Range Zooms for Digital back to top

The new 18 - 200 VR lens is all 90% of everything anyone would want for everything. It's a breakthrough. There's never been anything like it in my over 30 years of photography. Now that I have one it never seems to come off my D200! It's expensive, about $700. If you're considering it I'd advise just getting it. It's unlike any other all-in-one lens I've ever used. You'll love it! It's rare that I need anything longer.

On a more reasonable budget I'd suggest the 18 - 55, which you can get with a camera as a kit. It's inexpensive, about $140, and works as well or better than the more expensive 18 - 70 ($330) and 17 - 55 ($1,500) lenses. There's no reason you can't make thousands of fantastic images with just the 18 - 55. Of course each of those lenses is progressively heavier, more sensitive in low light and more durable, too. If you take care of your gear and make casual use of it I'd go for the cheapest 18 - 55. If you beat on your gear, or are a full time pro, by all means pay ten times as much for the 17 - 55, just don't expect to see a visible difference in the images.

BTW, I also just bought a D50 with a wide zoom lens (12-24mm). I am waiting for the 18-200 to re-emerge on the market.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote