View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #98
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Congrats on the camera purchase .... I agree with the others on getting out of the Auto mode. You cant learn anything and it doesnt work well in all circumstances.

When I started out two months back, I used the preset shooting modes - E.g portrait, landscape, etc.

Now, I use the Aperture mode for the most part. I use the F2.8-F5 for those shots where I need to blur the background and F9-F11 for those shots where I want the whole car sharp. Make sure you are not in lowest or highest aperture of your lens to get sharper pics.

When I am in a rush, I use the preset modes to play it safe. For panning, you can use the S mode with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/250. Start with 1/250 and go down to slower shutter speeds as you get the hang of it. The slower the shutter speed, the greater the background blur effect.
Thanks, all of your guys tips and figures really help me alot

First off, congrats on the new camera! Cool

When I first starting taking panning shots, I just went out to the closest road and took pics of cars passing. They don't have to be going very fast, so just a road where cars are going 20-30mph (50km/h). Start from there to get some practice, and then you can move onto more difficult shots, etc. Have fun! Very Happy
Might do that tomorrow, Ill see what comes out of it, Thanks!