View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #31
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Does anyone on this forum use the D50, or has experience with it?
I do, and several other guys on JW have one (dutchmasterflex, sameerrao, ae86_16v, probably others I'm not thinking of...). Its a great camera, and if you want an SLR, but don't want to spend a huge amount of cash, its a good buy. I personally have never used a D70/D70s, but if you are concerned about picture quality, I'm 90% they use the same image sensor (with maybe a few differences?) so there really isn't much difference, except that from the D70s's nicer lens. I've also looked at pics side-by-side of D70s vs D50 (with same lens), and I can't tell any difference (but I'm no expert). Its mainly that the D70s has more features, and comes standard with a very nice lens...but the D50 still comes with lots of good features.

The Canon 350D is obviously a great, great camera too, but for me, 6.0 MP is plenty. When you are shopping for a camera you think its a huge difference...and you want that "8.0MP", but when it comes down to actually shooting pics, its not such a big deal...I'm sure others would agree. Don't get me wrong, its certainly nice, but if you are just starting out, its not super neccessary.

I'm obviously going to recommend my camera , but I really do think its a great SLR to start with. Another nice thing of the D50, is it has a nice 'feel' to it, and it just felt better in my hands than the Canon. That is a very personal preference though, and you should spend time in the store holding and 'shooting' whatever cameras you plan to buy.

Good luck deciding, you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, and hopefully we'll be seeing some SLR pics from you soon! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote