View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 08:31 PM   #21
graywolf624
Regular User

"I had no idea the LS1 had become the most-supported SBC motor--I guess it's now more efficient to use that as the starting point rather than messing around with the old carb'd 350s, huh?"

Yes and no. LS1 parts are expensive.. with a but...
If you are willing to buy used you can do really cheap with them and they have the highest potential versus reliability.

Alot of it depends on your objectives. A carbd 350 is great for drag but you rarely see them on the street or track.

The ls1 post 2000 even comes in the corvettes with oil baffles. It certainly is the best per price option for a road racing block if you are willing to go used(I agree somewhat on the fears, but if you have a warrenty it is somewhat allayed). Alluminum engine and lower cg go a long way.

As for street. The lt1 seems to be the best overall option. It is very inexpensive even for newer parts and the size of the aftermarket is enormous.

The carbd 350s are great for drag but they lose alot of their streetability rather quickly when you start scrwewing around. Unfortunately the carbs are also starting to fall behind in the aftermarket department. Look at the major parts dealers and most cater almost exclusively to the fi market. It is even becoming more difficult to find dealers for l98s. Not horrible, but I prefer to have the most options available.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote