View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
tforth
Regular User

What little crediblity you had is shot to hell with this very pointed statement - the same race driver in one of the hardest edged and most purposeful designed "race cars" in street trim, the GT3-RS barely edged away from the pure-street, daily driver, run-flat tyred, Z06.
The 'credit' that you refer to is that 'Auto Zeitung', which has to be one of the cheesiest German magazines (I know, because I have been reading ams since 1986, as well as sport auto over the past 10 years or so) quoted similar times for both cars.
By your ramblings, it is almost as if the closest you have ever been to a high powered sports car is reading magazines in the toilet - because if you had any practical experience you would know that the time seperating these two (and every other 3200lb/500hp car) is so small and dependant on the day/conditions/driver - and that either of these car is so brutal and fast it would make you piss in your pants in a heart beat.
How far you are from the truth. Although I do not claim to get as much track time as I would like (usually only 2/year), every car I have driven over the past 10 years has been modified extensively (including dedicated track wheels & tires) for track work. Furthermore, I don't call parking lots tracks. A track is an actual road course, with some element of danger, otherwise what's the difference between it and a PS2 game? Most recently, I did an event at Mosport last fall, and it was everything I had expected. Have you even heard of Mosport? Oh, and I have also been around the Nurburgring, although it was back in 1986, so I wasn't driving at the time; have you?

Again - do you not get the point - the GT3-RS is specifically and radically tune in the suspension department to feel, run and gun like a dedictaed race car - and it is to be expected to hadnle the way it does, the fact the test showed the race rubber car vs the street tyre car was so close is actually all the prrof yo uneed - the Z06 is not a "point and shoot PS3 console" far from it.
Interesting, as evo stated (when describing the Z06) in their December 2007 Car of the Year issue, where the outcome was 1st 599 GTB, 2nd 997GT3, 3rd LP 640 and 4th Z06:

"If it were built by Porsche it would wear an RS badge and command twice the asking price"

I would agree that this statement is a bit of stretch, especially considering the rubber, but clearly people that have driven it don't consider it to be quite the daily 'beater' that you make it seem, unlike the GT3 which at least has PASM (on the 997) and sat nav. Most of the American magazines which have compared it against it's peers have also stated that it is a pretty focused device and tricky at the limit, as has Jeremy Clarkson, for whatever that's worth.

There is no coparison - the Veyron cannot be operate dby a human without all the aids turned on..
You're missing the point; it's a GT - that's they way it will be driven by the people who can actually afford it.

and thus thinks in terms of magazine stats and hearsay with regard to car performance.
Wow, I guess this is a good example of perspective, and how you seem to lack it. I am educated in the area of science which helps me understand why cars do what they do. I also drive very enthusiastically when ever the opportunity arises, including on real tracks. I have met many people at track events or otherwise, who think that they know a lot about cars, but can't tell you what the difference is between under and oversteer (and some of them weren't even that slow on track).

Realistically, very few people are afforded the opportunity to drive as many different high performance cars, in anger/on track, etc. as some of the magazine writers can. What they state is up for public scrutiny by a very wide audience, it is not hearsay. That's why some of them develope a corresponding good/bad reputation, like Auto Zeitung. Can you even read German, or did you just rely on what this guy wrote anyway?
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote