View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Driving a 600+ rwhp NSX turbo

So, last week I rode in a 458 Italia, which was great... this week, I was handed the keys to a Lovefab Turbo NSX with 620 or 630 RWHP.

This was is the only NSX I've ever heard that didn't sound meh... it skipped good, and went right to Farking Phenomenal! Of course, there are no cats, and the exhaust exit is only 11" long, and you can fist the exhaust But from the inside, it sounds a lot like a cross between a Porsche 962 and a Ferrari 333 SP between 3700 rpm and 9000 rpm. Wow!

How'd it drive? Well, I've never been a big fan of the NSX, but this one cured a few problems, mainly... power LOL. Additionally, it had a big heavy clutch (slightly heavier than an F40's), but easy to modulate, and a smaller diameter steering wheel which felt perfect. I'm a bit tall, so it is a little cramped for space vertically... but I wasn't bumping my head on the roof.

Hit the gas? Well, it's a tale of two cars... in 1st, its an exercise in reaction time. I made the mistake of failing to leave my hand on the shifter for the 1-2 shift, and I was bouncing off the limiter for about 1/3 of a second before I caught second... that was quick . 2nd... power comes on quickly as well, but is somewhat more manageable. The rears only spin between 6000 -8500ish rpm. The owner of the car dialed the tire width back from 315's to 285's as a precaution against breaking something in the driveline; so he's quite happy to replace the rubber... a lot.

3rd gear? Still a quick enough ratio that it builds up boost relatively quickly, and you are flying! 4th gear... a quick speed shift, blow off valve and... wait for it... wait for it... waiiiiiiiiiiiiit for it.... ah here it WHAAAAAAAAAAA! The car has a HUGE (72 mm I believe) turbo, and the original dyno tune was 920 rwhp, so it still takes a lot of time to reach the 630 rwhp boost levels.

A fellow in another car on the way back from the destination was filming me driving starting around 7:16 on this video... like I stole it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaGBaUmfsg#