View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Damn.. twice the price for the VR. Isnt the 18-200mm with VR under $1000?
Yes .. I think it is a fantastic all-around lens for about $750 but may not be great for shooting racing cars or action as the lens is a little slower. Otherwise the range and VR may make it an awesome buy.

The VR works exceptionally well when you are taking shots of stationary objects. Basically the VR allows you to forgo the Monopod/tripod under most circumstances. It will also help smoothen the picture when panning to get the profile of a racing car. But it will not compensate for a fast lens (f/2.8 ) nor a fast auto-focus.

If you have the 18-55 or 18-70, the 18-200 is the perfect replacement but you may need a few more lenses depending on your circumstances.

Another possibility is the 80-400 VR that retails for about $1200 - the lens is not as good as the 70-200 but you get more range.

Take your camera and try it out.

So far I have the 12-24 f/4 for landscapes and wideangle shots of cars and the 70-200 f/2.8 for racetrack and regular zoom situations. When my wallet has a chance to recover, I might go in for a longer range lens or perhaps get a 1.4 converter instead. Let's see.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote