View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #24
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
hi, St. Anger...

i think its safe to say that Porsche has been in the Supercar market for quite some time, and have a pretty good figure denoted to only the highest of performance cars available (GT2,GT3, CGT?)..

when such amazing cars are built, are the powertrains built to last more then the industry supercar average of 46,000 miles/ 74,000km? (total, it seems)

this milage is generally beyond mfr warentees, and any damage to occure could require a massive overhaul and high cost.

i guess this could be extrapolated to asking if Porsche expects its costomers to drive thier supercars often.

thanks for your assistance
first, THX lakatu, on the one hand for understanding my situation right now, second for giving a very good an extensive answer
sorry nthfinity, i can only give you a short answer, but i think you´ll agree that our friend lakatu has named the most important things...
so, YES, PAG is definitely after reliability of their products, even under the worst conditions, so i´m in automotive engineering for quite some time now and honestly, Porsche definitely runs the hardest test programm for their sports cars, and i think we all agree that Porsche has the most reliable sports- and race cars in history and also nowadays, also some decent tuners take their performance parts from Porsche motorsports, because it´s no secret that e.g. engine kits from Gemballa or some other tuners are not that reliable...
and when you talk about the costs, sure every Porsche IS expensive, but as we already pointed out: you´ll get quite something for your money and one can be sure that his e.g. CGT outruns an Enzo on a endurance race, hands down i´d say...
so definitely YES, PAG expects that their cars are driven on track quite often, i mean e.g. here in middle europe, especially germany, a Porsche is simply THE track car, every driver who does some serious racing has a Porsche, the ppl with the Ferraris or other brands mainly want to enjoy a fast lap or two, but only a very very small percantage is after lap times or serious head to head racing, that´s definitely Porsche territory...
all Porsches are tested to death on reliability, sure there´ll always be some "problems" e.g. 1st gen. PCCB on 911 models, but that´s sorted out now...
so are these cars designed to last longer than industry standard...not really, as you know PAG also has to look at their finances, BUT be sure that all Porsche parts are among the best on the market, you already know the example with the tuner, and to give you another good example, after the latest quality upgrade, initiated by Dr.Wiedeking in 2003, 2nd gen. GT2´s achieved 500+hp on the dyno because of the better quality of the engine parts :shock: 8)

hope that this is an appropriate addition to lakatu´s answer...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote