View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #23
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
hi, St. Anger...

i think its safe to say that Porsche has been in the Supercar market for quite some time, and have a pretty good figure denoted to only the highest of performance cars available (GT2,GT3, CGT?)..

when such amazing cars are built, are the powertrains built to last more then the industry supercar average of 46,000 miles/ 74,000km? (total, it seems)

this milage is generally beyond mfr warentees, and any damage to occure could require a massive overhaul and high cost.

i guess this could be extrapolated to asking if Porsche expects its costomers to drive thier supercars often.

thanks for your assistance
I know that st-anger has limited availability to answer questions right now, so I will attempt to provide a partial answer. I’m sure st-anger will follow up on your question when he has the time.

Certainly engines that are designed with high performance characteristics have higher demands and stress put on them. I believe that some of those extra reliability demands can be compensated for by engineering and materials selection utilized in building the powertrain. For instance, the use of exotic high strength alloys.

Because Porsche has some of the most extensive experience in endurance racing they have developed technology and expertise in the areas of reliability. In fact, using business language terms, you might say that reliability is one of Porsche’s core competencies. Meaning that this knowledge and expertise is not equally shared by other manufactures and provides Porsche with a competitive advantage.

I have read articles where during engine development Porsche has entered preproduction model engines in endurance races. At the completion of the race they just changed the oil and went onto the next race and the next until some problem surfaced that they could then analyze and correct.

It sounds like you have some specific knowledge of supercars engine lives in general that I personally am not familiar with :roll: . I don’t know about those issues but I do know that most racing engines are designed to survive for one race. I believe that is because the tradeoffs in increasing the engine life are opposed to speed and light weight. So maybe some of these characteristics are carried over into ultra high performance supercars.

But for Porsche, IMO, a car that isn’t designed to be driven is a museum piece and not a real sports car .