View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by findleybeast
haha like how that last line rhymed...

great thread ZfrkS62. by the way, have there been any problems with valvetronics? i know they haven't been around too long, but I figured having an electric motor involved in such an important engine task might have a big risk of burning out or something. really wondering just out of curiousity.
oh yeah, and why did they want to keep the magnesium block from being conductive? afraid it might burst into flames?
the valvetronic system has been nearly bullet proof so far. going from min. to max lift, the motors may spike at 100AMPS but they only take a few milliseconds to hit full throttle. the rest of the time they just make fine adjustments based on the values the accelerator pedal is sending to the valvetronic computer. There are 4 failsafe programs that are used if there
is a fault in the system however. depending on what went wrong. the worst case scenario, being "call the tow truck or idle back to the dealer".

Magnesium, being very light, will corrode rapidly once it starts to go. so, if you start running electricity through it, it may start to pit. the intake manifold on the 760 is already magnesium so they have been watching it closely to determine any problems before they made an engine out of it. I'm pretty confident we won't see any massive problems.

Silvia- with the accepted rumors thus far, the CSL will be at about 420HP. But if the numbers for the standard are anywhere near correct, you could see the CSL at maybe 485-490.
If the speculation is high though, and the M3 produces even 415-425HP, the CSL still may approx 450. However don't hold your breath on it coming stateside as the emissions will more than likely kill that dream.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote