View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
No - you miss the point entirely.

A stock modern supercar is faster than a very expensive modded older car. Thats just the way it is.

It takes many thousand dollars to take a mid 70's car and make it out handle a bone stock modern supercar.

At that point the supercar could then spend a bit more money and crush the modded old car - and still retain full amenities.

The stock C5 Z06 really impressed me. On a larger autocross (think 1.8 mile solo 2 course) or road course, cars like Bad Penny and the other good pro-tourers leave stock C5's in the dust, but this is a good illustration of how much better designed newer cars are. I'm not going to argue bang for the buck in either direction because there are just too many variables and unique scenarios. It does cost thousands to get an old car's suspension to modern performance levels and then more to try to surpass them. Tires are also a huge factor, just as they always are. I think had the DSE second gen run the 180 treadwear kumhos, it would have been the quickest car of the day.

There was also a new ZR-1 there, driven by its owner (the man who owns Mothers) and it got down into the 30's. He wasn't as smooth as some and all the power made it too easy for him to get into the corners too hot.

And the counterpoint to the trick DSE car's was Mary Pozzi's Camaro running stock style bolt-on suspension that was only barely edged out by the C5 Z06.

As far as ultimate performance mods go, when you get crazy race car hardcore, the car is just a shell on a tubeframe chassis and what year you call it really only affects aerodynamics.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote