View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks for sharing nthfinity. Really insightful and interesting 8) .

I was really surprised to see that aluminum was weaker than steel. Had to look it up and your right steel can withstand 4 times the sheering forces than aluminum.

I was really interested in your comment concerning some reading that suggested that extremely high performance engines are designed to last 50,000 miles . Could you provide some more detail on what you learned from the reading. Are they referring to McLaren F1’s BMW type engines and similar high powered supercars like the CGT or are they including in that GT2, 996 TT and GT3 RS engines? I’m not sure about the reliability of the more modern 911 engines but I know that the 3.2L engine was good for at least 200,000 before requiring a rebuild. Although it only produced 231 bhp in European specs.
i dont think it matters so much weather its just turbocharging a car, or other performance upgrades which would degrade the motor more rappidly even naturally aspirated.
Also, were you saying in this quote that some of the changes that people make to naturally aspirated engines are more stressful to the engine than changes to turbocharged engines. If so what be an example of what you are referring to and in what way is it more damaging. I have always been under the impression that turbo charging was the most stressful way to increase power from an engine. I may have misunderstood you here if so I appologize .