View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
Well, you were wrong. But it's nothing to be ashamed about, we all learn things as we live.
The goal was to go as fast as possible with nothing more than a very primitive engine of a fixed displacement. They are low-tech and old-fashioned, not modern in any way.
Seems you are showing your age, and bias; as my statement is quite far from wrong. Just because you don't understand the absolute upper limit of horsepower winning engines, does not mean I am wrong
Exotic engineering yields competitive results. As with most forms of racing, very high dollar experimentation and research ...

Dragster power comes from their extreme focus on building an engine that can only run for a few seconds at a time and a few minutes total, as well as burning special fuel.
So, if I build any engine to run only 1500-2000 rpm before requiring a rebuild, and put in race gas, I'm automatically as fast as the winning teams/ drivers? Think again.

None of the above, actually.
What's more, the 338 is much more practical than any dragster.
"at least 900 mph" which translates to
"at least 1320 feet per second" So, if your 338 doesn't fire at least 1320 fps, it is not going as fast as you stated. So, either you are wrong, or you are wrong.

Skylines, not supras.
And yes, in part you're right. Power is the single most meaningless thing in cars after top speed. Real performance lies not in power, but in how it's put down and handled.
Replace "Supra", and insert "skyline" results stay the same. Skyline owner paid more.

Big achievement, pull 1500 hp out of an 8-liter engine, when others pull 1200 out of a 2.6-liter one.
Power to weight, and improving reliability is far more important to the driver then dyno queens you speak of.

I'm sorry. You were asking for an example of a mass-produced tuner, not a private shop. I didn't give you some Top Secret, I pointed out a mass-tuner.
The volume these "private shops" put out far exceed that of Ralliart, many of them do so individually

Not really. It wasn't "cruised", it was driven extremely professionally for performance. It's just that it's hard to grasp from a video. The faster a driver is, the slower he looks on tape.
Is that why it was being short shifted? Short shifting looks like cruising to me... oh, and feels like it too.

And GT-R wasn't yet tuned. It had a far lower hp/ton ratio. ZR1 is a tuned car, tuned by factory, but still tuned.
special ECU tune, weight reduction, and rumors of race fuel, and race tread (the 7:29 run was run with an "optional" tread that will be introduced as a Japan-only tire. )