View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
loliea
Regular User

Thanks guys for all the good words, yes it's a fantastic car.

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
I love the E46, that engine is fabulous, just hope it's not an SMG.
Yes it's an SMG. Trust me I hated at the beginning, but now I am use to it. For everyday use once you learn how to use it (ie anticipating lag in reaction and feeding correctly the gas pedal when up/downshifting) it's a good/ok gearbox. For heel and toe training I still have my wife's Miata

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
M3's understeer? That's a first... Get back on the throttle earlier!
I know it sounds strange for an M3 but I talk to instructors and owners of prepared M3 and they all told me the same thing: it's a "safety feature" of 99% of road cars.
I don't think that getting on the gas early will correct this behavior, it will just upset the car and I will eventually finish in the wall... I could eventually slam it after the apex but that's not when the understeering is bad, it's during the 1/3rd part of the turn, before the apex.
There is a solution to correct this understeer which consists of installing camber plates and put at least 3deg of camber (the max with the stock car is 1 deg) but I don't feel like modifying the car as 1) it is my everyday car and 2) I will change it next year.

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote