View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
yay for your new motor. but boo to the problems

i hope you can get this stuff sorted soon and have some fun with the TA
thanks, I'll get back to work on it with some more parts and time after the Long Beach Grand Prix is over.

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Just make sure its not a stock 700R4. Get a built one, as they break easy.

Otherwise good looking car.
Yea, thanks for the advice. I've been planning it for a long time and know how notorious some of the 27 spline units were in slightly built applications. I'll likely order a built unit from B&M. I reeeally want that extra ratio so I can run some decent gears without ruining freeway cruising (I'll be going with fairly modest 3.42's, not unlike a stock 4th gen)

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
What are you planning suspension and brake wise?
I love your car.
I addressed the suspension (November 2005) and brakes (November 2004) a while ago.

The brakes aren't anything too special. Just Duralast discs and pads up front with new drums in the rear. Surprisingly, the car brakes really well. It doesn't have ABS, but it seems to grab better than my fox body (. . . . more on that car later when I have more pics ready. I just did the rear drums on that car 3 weeks ago).

I'd like fancier brakes, but I don't want anything that will force me to get rid of the stock 15" rally II wheels. My understanding is that high performance brakes make a bigger difference at higher speeds and on track days (much less fade.) So the current brakes will stay for quite a while.

I replaced the coil springs, leaf springs, and bushings back in November 2005. I've got Eibach coils upfront and Hotchkiss leaf springs in the rear. I love how the Eibachs settled but the Hotchkiss springs actually raised the car up despite being "lowering springs" (a result of the old springs being pretty well shot.) I realy love how the car rides but hate the fact that it has a slight rake. I'll get some lowering blocks to get things even again although some people have told me they liked the raked look.

before

after

stock vs Eibach

no more old rusty leaf
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote