View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

The old engine came out and the "new" original engine went in on Saturday.

Despite making good progress on Saturday, the whole operation will still take a while. I still need new intake manifold bolts (I was just going to use the ones from the other engine), different push rods (my machine shop bought ones that were too short! so much for having them "match parts"), and I still need decent valve covers (the ones on the original ones don't really seal well and the pair of edelbrocks are crusty and I don't like chrome.)

Anyway, this is just the beginning. Exhaust work and hopefully a new radiator will come soon after the swap.

Other slightly further off to-do's include repairing my Holley 3310 carburetor (to replace the rochester) and finding suitable headers.

Then next years project will be swapping in a 700R4 (it doesn't just drop right in) and some 3.42's in the rear. There's much much more to do after that, but that's the plan right now. Availability of money will affect the rate at which things are accomplished.

about to go in . . .

Here's the built original engine going into place with its lack of intake manifold, unfinished valve train (no pushrods or rockers), and (temporary) crusty valvle covers (they have rust on the inside, hence the excessive use of taped paper towels.)

and for kicks, here's a photo of me dropping in the lifters before I tried to set the valve lash and then realized that the pushrods were way too short . . .

79TA is offline   Reply With Quote