Thread: McLaren F1
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #35
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by everso
Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Originally Posted by bmuller
Just now being topped after over 10 years, definitely sub-zero.

Also, what are these claims of your driving being limited by McLaren?
The claim is complete bullshit. While many F1s do not see many miles, like any other super car, some have built up quite high mileage for a supercar, 20-30,000mi (and at least one with over 40,000mi I believe). Flemke (owner of the blue F1 with door mounted mirrors) even quoted that he drove his car 1,000mi/month for a while, and his car has around 32,000 or 33,000 miles.
LOL.....my views were stated to you based around an owner i know of who has said that McLaren log his miles and tell him not to exceed a certain number of miles a year (a number i can't remember exactly, however it was between 5,000 and 10,000).

oh...and an F1 clutch lasts a nasty 4000 miles. highly unimpressive.

carry on then....
Well, why didn't you say it that way first...? To me that sounds a lot more like, McLaren likes to keep track of the mileage of the cars, and would like it if you didn't exceed a certain number of miles, especially since the car has several parts limited by mileage, such as drive-shafts and joints, and a fuel tank bladder which must be replaced periodically (5 years or so). I could be wrong, but I really doubt they concretely 'limit' the miles, it sounds to me more like a guideline of some sort. Sorry to be on the 'attack' in my earlier post, but we all have our cars we hold close...

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the F1 uses a carbon clutch, which, if used properly will last much longer than 4,000miles, but if abused, yes it will be done in 4-5,000miles. It’s much the same situation with the CGT, or any other car (as if there are a multitude of them out there ) using a carbon clutch. Nearly 500ft-lb trq with a lightweight clutch and disrespect for that clutch is going to lead to a short life. I don't see how that is 'highly unimpressive'?

In addition, this may just obfuscate matters more, but the 4,000 mile interval often quoted as the 'life' of the F1's clutch is actually when the carbon clutch plates need to be re-shimmed to close the gap which develops from wear. This is obviously an involved procedure and could for practical purposes be as involved as changing a clutch, but it is not actually changing the clutch, as it lasts through several re-shims. To further elaborate, one owner has gone 25,000 miles on one clutch, and yes he drives the car 'sportingly', and feels it will last at least 40,000miles.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote