View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #51
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
/\/\/\You know what I dont get? That damn overdrive gear on a performance car. Why wont they just stick in a properly ratioed 6th gear? I'm sure it could hit 185+ with it.
who wants to pay gas guzzler tax, let alone... who wants a 'economical supercar' to be uneconomical?

the Ford GT is geared even taller... and part of the reason that our supercars have such a broad torque curve that a gear can be used over a broader specturum; whereas a high reving car will need the short ratios to stay in the power.

funny thing is that i do agree with you, i would much prefer a close ratio 6 speed.
Well - gas guzzler tax is only paid by the first purchaser... so us 'used car shoppers" don't need to worry.

But I am glad to have and love 6th gear. it allow me to make awesome cross country trips at 75mph, return 28mpg and only have to make 2 fuel stops on a 1200 mile road trip.

Thrashing the car through the backroads and only having a 200 mile tank range (at my 12mpg) is alreadya bother - needing to time you gas stops in podunk towns - I can only imagine how painful and irritating the 160 mile range a 9mpg Murci has.

Of course we need to consider that most weekends I drive further for fun than most Europeans drive in a year on that rinky dink continent
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote