View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
they're fast enough to be considered sports cars...
No they are not fast enough to be considered sports cars - that is point of having a "sports car" category.. because sports cars are faster, lighter, nimbler and overall quicker than the rest.

as for best bang for the buck I think it has been discussed so many times and it has been agreed by most of all which one get the title.
Really? I would not be so sure - after all you just offered an M3 and an M5 as "sports car" options.

I thought the topic was about options, opinions, and personal choices, not which one is the overall winner
The choices options and opinions should all logically steer towards the same short list - if they don't then the problem lies with the definition of "sports car" and "reasonable cost".

And before you simply assume the winner, don't - the point is to weed out those that are definately not even in the running because of cost and or performance.

So - in this discussion, even though it is almost the greatest sports car even produced, the Enzo cannot get on this list... it fails the price test.

Similarly, the Caterham Superlight R cannot be on the list, because it really cannot practically be used to drive to work in the rain....

ANd neither can the Mazda Miatat - its too slow, and so with the Audi TT, even the Evo - cant run to 170mph+.

WHy does a stock M3 not make the list? Performance - its not in the "sports car" league of the day. This was true in 1987 and is true in 2007 - has the M3 of the day ever been as fast a 911 Turbo or F248/355/360/430?

Speed is a critical component of being a "sports car".

Hot Hatch and Hot Sedan are different categories - and as such will have different "winners".

To give you an idea of cars I consider close contenders for "best sports car buy" as in practical, affordable and fast as hell:

For various generations as a new purchase, the Corvette ZR1 ((a $30,000 option in the day made this car expensive though), Porsche 928 GTS/Clubsport, Porsche GT3 Mk1, M11 and 997 GT3 (normally cheaper than the Turbo), Viper GTS GTS ACR (although that was a $10,000 option), C5 Z06, C6 Z06 any other suggestions?

There are ohters but they are significantly more expensive, and some others in that price range are significantly slower.

Does this make sense now?

Try not to turn this into "We hate the Corvette" thread if youpossibly can - but also try be realistic within the topic criteria.

Sports Car
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote