View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default Porsche 996 Turbo

This is the second Porsche I have driven (after a 993 Carrera) so it was definately a step up in all aspects. The owner had told me in the morning he'd give me a drive later but I had forgotten about it by the time he threw me the keys. :shock:

I was expecting a quick blast up and down the street but no, he said "drive it home to your place" - which was over 30minutes away!

I've got some video footage he took while I was driving but he doesn't have a clue how to control it so it was utter crap....oh well.

All photos: http://ozcarsightings.com/996ttphotoshoot.php

Specifications

Engine - 3.6L Flat-6
Power - 420hp @ 6000 rpm (this one modified to 510hp)
Torque - 560 Nm @ ? rpm
Max Speed (declared) - 308 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 4.2sec
Tranny - Tiptronic

Seats - 4 (sort of)
Doors - 2

Exterior

With the 997 variant now out this model might be out of favour but it still has an aggressive stance! This ones stands out from the crowd a bit with the rare Dark Teal colour (option) and the aftermarket 19" lightweight wheels. Lowered with coilovers helps finish off the look - a big fan personally.

Interior

A bit of a disappointment to be honest - like many Porsches I suppose. It just doesn't feel like you're sitting in a car as fast as it is. The only thing which rescues this particular one is the optional carbon fibre trim which definately gives it a more sporty feel and look. Way too much black in there. I do like the dial arrangement though.

How does it drive?

Like an everyday car to be honest! Pottering around in traffic you wouldn't have a clue the potential you have under your right foot! Its relatively quiet, ride isn't too harsh and there is good visibility.

Give your right foot a prod though and you realise what a weapon you have in your control! It piles on speed like crazy, and turbo lag is almost non-existant with the two turbos. The scary thing is you don't realise how fast you're going - it isn't an event like in a Ferrari so befor you know it you're doing 2 or 3 times the speed limit. I only pushed it to around 160-170kmh quickly on a quiet road and than took barely any time at all.

Handling wise I can't comment too much since we didn't tackle and hard twisties, but the thing to watch I noticed is the huge rear hips! Alot wider than I'm used to so you have to factor that in when attacking corners.

Unfortunately this was a tiptronic model which really dulls the driving experience IMO. There is noticeable "kick-down" if you leave it in auto mode and even in manual mode the changes are pretty ordinary - well behind the others I've tried in the F430, CS and M5 for example (it is an older car, of course). This would be a completely different (better) car to drive if you had a third pedal....shame. Another thing I noticed was when you come to a stop if will drop into 2nd gear - not first like most other "F1-style" systems. You can override it obviously but clicking down a gear. I'm also not a fan of the buttons on the wheel, so much nice with paddles behind the wheel - better feel and control.

What are the most positive features of the car?

Pace - stunning
Looks
Everyday useability - wouldn't be a problem

What are the most negative features of the car?

The soundtrack - dull
Tiptronic system
Interior

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Well I haven't driven its direct competitors of the time so hard to judge. I guess it would be the 360 Modena or a Gallardo perhaps – both cars I’ve been in before. It really depends on what you want out of a car when you make this decision – Italian flare and style or German precision and usability. Point-to-point I’m sure the Porker is the car to buy!

Conclusion

Stunningly effective car to cover normal everyday roads – would be hard to do it it quicker in anything else (even more expensive cars). Also a car you can drive to work and back each day – so if you need something that can be both a transporter and toy for weekends don’t look past the 996 Turbo.