View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #66
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by ellen feiss
Are lossless audio formats part of "high-end digital audio"?
When you can buy a studio album recoreded in FLAC or such, and then buy a device for the playback of the media then sure
first you can buy FLAC files form bands, they just have to care about their fans ie. Pearl Jam.

2nd, FLAC files are lower quailty then CD WAV files.
CD WAV files are lower quailty then DVD-A audio files
DVD-A is lower then vinyl

(also iTunes will offer apple lossless files for sale soon)
With FLAC compression, or mp3 or mp4 or any other digital method of compression I can use different levels of compression, in which case whats lower or higher quality is at the hands of man in charge.

I can record that guitar sample in normal Audio CD format and make it lower quality then my large flac file.

I can record a 30sec guitar sample plugged into my rig. In wav not compressed I can make it up to 100mb big. I can use multple forms of compression. From mp3 to flac and make either one of them the higher quality end product based on the compression levels I used.

Any form of digital compression is a compromise between file size and quality. And each form of compression has a different method of signal processing.

So we should be taking in size per quality ratio, or something like that. Not which is the better quality. Because ultimatly I can make just about any form of digital compression beat the next in line at the expense of file size.

What we have to wait for is blu-ray or such where we can record an audio in digital with absolutly no compression, where the digital recording=analog.

Same applies for television.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote