View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #18
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks st-anger for taking the time to respond with such a lengthy and detailed response with lots of excellent info. I wanted to add something along with what you were saying about trying to increase the power output of the CGT. I’m not sure if many people know this but many times when a racing engine is tuned for maximum horsepower they do so at the expense of low end torque and drivability. Many of the racing engines from what I understand are really gutless below 4,000 RPM and have a very narrow power band so the horsepower curve is really steep and peaky. In addition as already noted the increased performance many times is done at the expense of longer-term reliability. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to mess with the CGT that is pure sacrilege .

St-anger thank you for sharing the reliability data. It sounds like the tradition of Porsche is still high performance with long-term reliability. After reading what nthfinity wrote I was beginning to think that Porsche’s increased performance over the years may have had a necessary tradeoff in lower reliability but I am glad to hear that isn’t the case. Have you read anything similar to what nthfinity was referring to as far as high performance engines being designed by other manufactures to last 50,000 miles ?

I may have read something into your statement that wasn’t intended :roll: but it sounded like the 993 series showed that the ratability data was the same regardless whether the car was normally aspirated or TT. Is this really the case? I would have expected that a higher output engine and TT no less would require more maintenance and repairs.

Has there been a series that wasn’t as reliable as some of the other 911 series or one that was maybe more reliable than the reset. For example the 964 is notorious for having engine leaking problems and issues with the clutch. As I mentioned before from what I understand the 3.2L was extremely reliable. Some of that I think was due to the mechanical simplicity of the engine. In your opinion should the 993 and/or the 996 be as reliable or more so than the 3.2L?

Thanks again great stuff. Don’t you just love PC.