View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #18
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by philip
A long while back a professional photographer took a photo that a company wanted to use in a national add. He had already been paid to take the photo, but the copyright did not extend to this other company. He asked $700 for his permission to release the photo for their use. Instead the company hired another photographer for $250 to take the same exact photo again.

So if you price your photography too high, there is always some one else who will take the photographs for less. If your photographs are unique and not easily replaceable, obviously you can charge more. The excellent pictures from the French Quarter is an example. Here however it is not for a national add campaign, just some guys who would like to see what they looked like in their Ferraris for their scrap books or personal web page. So I would think some small nominal charge would be typical as I would want to get in their good graces and you may get more rides next year.

I would give them a CD and let them do the printing. You may want to put a small watermark on the photos in photoshop so you can retain the ownership in case Ferrari USA discovers the photos and just has to use one.
Very good point, I was thinking of making the prints and depending on how big, charging maybe 1.5x or 2x the cost of printing it, I don't think that's too much.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote