View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #171
Vansquish
Regular User

^^

Well...from what I've read, the Cayenne is quite capable both on and off-road, but has a harsher ride than the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. The 4.5L V8 is a gem especially in turbo form, but several reviews I've read of the new Turbo S make it out to be a marketing exercise more than anything else. Truly, a large SUV that'll tackle the 0-60mph dash in around 5-and-a-half seconds is quite nippy especially if it tops out at 165mph. The S's performance gains for the 70bhp advantage aren't that spectacular and probably aren't worth the extra money.

Then there's the styling. I may well be exposing myself for some flamage here, but I don't particularly care for the Cayenne's looks. To me it looks a bit like Porsche tried to lay the "fried egg" headlights and swoopy bodywork of the 996 on an SUV and it's not very effective. The rear end is alright I suppose, rather bland actually, but the nose is pretty hideous IMHO. The interior quality will likely be quite good and functional, but nothing to write home about whereas, I'm sure you feel like you're sitting in the lap of luxury in the Rangies you've got at the moment. The interior accoutrements in the Range Rover product line is substantially superior.

In addition, it sounds like you've had a wonderful ownership experience with the Range Rovers you've got now, especially with customer service, and that in and of itself is an important consideration from my point of view, as if a company doesn't want to deal with you as a customer, then it's probably best to avoid giving them your business...(rule 1: The Customer is always right. rule 2: If the customer's wrong, see rule #1 etc...etc...)

Anyway, I've been spouting magazine-like opinions, but hopefully they're at least somewhat helpful. Your best shot would probably be talking to st-anger, he's our resident Porschephile and has had some experience with the 955.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote