View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 05:46 PM   #17
ice
Regular User

I could not be possibly happier with this verdict. The F50, from both my own excperience and talking with those who have driven it, is incredibly underrated. My reasoning is simple.
First, ferrari wanted this car to be exclusive, and they were worried journalists wouldnt be impressed with its numbers. Also, many journalists, being humbled by the fact they likely would never test one decided to rip into the car and exact some revenge. Many also had unrealistic expectations for the car, taking the "F1 for the road" mentality too seriously. What this car is, is simply the purest driving experience one can have. An F1 car is not torquey, and is not that easy to drive, so why should this be different.

Also, this car was not meant as a straight line monster. The McLaren was much more that. It had the displacement for it, but also gave the handling aspect away. No matter how great thr Mac is, it is an inferior handler. Obviously, the frenzied British media loved the home made Mac, and the less flexible, but infintely better handling and much more F1 like F50 was neglected in a media sense. This is why up until now, most magazines remember the F50 with disapointment. I say the opposite though, the media disappointed me. Hopefully this article will go a long way to help others see the greatness of the car.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote