View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
Ok i got the point.
But a turbo engine will make lots of power whit cold denser air.
More than a na engine.
But will be heat soaked within a few laps.

I am not making this up - I promise you. Don't you think if I wanted to have an "800rwhp" car I would have just built one using a super charged/turbo charged LS7 instead of an instead of a 580rwhp NA one? But such a car woul dhave been faced with way more issues hot lapping than I am already facing.

When you ask a tuning shop to help build you a 200mph race/street car, they seldom recommend a forced induction setup.

I am not sure if many folks understand the consept we are discussing - it is where the engine assembly soaks up all the heat produced and the intake charge, even though its been "intercooled" is still relatively warm and combined with the other hear of the boosted engine causes the gasoline to pre-ignite in the cylinders...

the knocking will destroy your motor, so the car;s computer pulls timing and slows the point of ignition - which significantly reduces the engine power.

This process saves the motor but makes the car slow... this is why boosted cars go out for a few laps of fun, then come in to the pits and cool down for long time before heading out again.

It can help to run very high octane race gasoline, but then the car is by definition no longer a street car.

BTW, have you ever seen in the magazine tests how Hennessey always packs his cars engine bays with bags of ice between runs?

Thats right - to reduce the heat soak and aid cooling between runs so he can "make the powaaaaa" - because in the real world a Venom Viper is literally breathless after 5 laps.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote