View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Not wanting to be rude, but nth, all the ones you posted are basically too blurry to be considered as "good" pics Basically it was just too dark and shutter speed too low to get good results
IMO even with an IS you can't go much lower than 1/80 or 1/60 for a panning shot. Usually I don't bother about F and I shoot in shutter speed priority when doing panning shots, and indeed I work between 1/60 and 1/100, depending on the speed of the car. Of course the car has to be driven at constant speed for better results ;9
For sure they are artistic, but there is no sharp point at all in them
Your RX8 picture is much better for instance

Here is a couple of mine.. the only way to achieve good results with slow shutter speed is to have an IS (I am pretty shaky myself) and to be in control of the situation: beeing able to shoot many pics with the car passing by many times at a constant speed

These ones were 1/80 but to get them right I had to take a ton of pics, even with IS (car traveling at around 100 kmh)

1/100 but when you shoot a 3/4 panning shot of course only the point you are following is sharp.. usually the front, and the backend is usally blurry.. it's due to the angle, but I suppose the quicker the shutter speed, the better.. but you'll end up with less sense of speed.. so...

Again 1/100 and cars traveling at a constant 80 kmh ... for my style and my preferences, 80 to 100 kmh and 1/80 1/100 is perfect.. 1/60 would be even better, but too hard to have a good shot

BTW, I find very difficult to take panning shots of cars from the rear, ence going away from me.. I never seem to pick a good focusing point and to keep it steady :roll: