View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #22
79TA
Regular User

awwww, boooo hoooo. Ferrari has 9, all well in the past when there were no large North American manufacturer efforts at LeMans. I thought I made it clear that we were talking about modern times. Is that all Ferrari fans can do is reference F1 and the past? Ferrari hasn't had an overall LeMans win since 1965 and that streak of "dominance" was brought to an end by an angry whim of Mr. Ford.

I very much respect various manufacturers for what they have accomplished in the past, but Ferrari rests on its laurels far too much these days considering how highly regarded they are. These prestigious histories make it more surprising that such manufacturers are unwilling to compete at the highest level of GT racing, especially when lowly GM is the only one to compete against in ALMS GT1. They obviously want to be a part of it given their GT2 entries, but they want nothing to do with the 'vettes. I've got to give Prodrive hand for not backing down and getting their reliability up to where they could take back to back GT1 wins at the 24 Hours of LeMans.

GM's LMP1 program was a long shot to begin with and didn't have enough success to continue against the stiff Audi competition. Also, consider GM, along with other major automakers, is in a tight spot financially so it's hard enough for them to support a GT1 team. I'm not calling Audi cowardly at all, rather this is mostly directed towards Porsche and Ferrari, both of which have the resources, history, and prestige that would suggest they dominate GT1. Instead, they are happy to beat up on the small upstart teams like the LG Corvette, Primetime Viper and the Drayson Aston Martin.

79TA is offline   Reply With Quote