View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
second, and please bear with me you chemist and environmentalist freaks, if Hydrogen is the most abundant thing in the universe and you can even get it with a few solar panels and tap water... why in the living hell do I have to pay through the nose for it? if this thing was cheap enough I may consider it
well sorry for being a freak but if something is the most abundant thing it doesn't mean that you can just pick it up lying around on the street.

as James said "it always sticks to something"

this is just a not complicated way of saying that hydrogen is an extremely reactive element and thus can only be found entrapped in a chemical bond with a different atom or whatever you like.

for example petrol or gas is just carbon with a huge amount of hydrogen in it. C6H14 - Hexane has roughly speaking 2 hydrogen atoms per Carbon atom. so now you can say that in oil (this is just an example) hydrogen is the most abundant element in petrol (petrol is made up of over 100 different alkanes (that's what you call these carbon chains with hydrogens attached to them))

so basically being ignorant and asking for a low price jsut because something is abundant is not going to get you anywhere, because you will have to pry the hydrogen out of it's already existing chemical bond.

hey if you have read until here then congrats to you
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote