View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 03:16 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

It was great! Eurosport's coverage was only 30 min every day, as always, but already enough! Martin is already a champion, young and skilled.. and the last evolution of the Focus seems perfect and reliable.
Gronholm was again struck by bad luck, this is sure the most difficult season of the last years for him... very unlucky...
Not to talk about Rovanpera.
Luckily Burns managed to be on the podium and he clearly demonstrate that the new point system is really usefull to reward consistency, since he is still on the lead in the general standings.
Solberg deserve better. He is a potential contender for the tytle, but also for him, lot of bad luck lately. Finally a good result!
Super-nice to see Vatanen back in WRC! And 11th is a great result! I want him back for a full season!!
Mcrae keeps doing bad, IMO he'll never won the WRC Championship again.. I just wonder when all the hype surrounding him will fade away.. since he won his first championship, the youngest winner, Colin was labeled as a Champion, flawless.. for the last years he always managed average results, always pretty far from the title... ok, I know, he was second more than once, and I think the worst season he was sixth or seventh, but hell, he won a single WRC title since 1995...
Sainz is one of my fav rally drivers ever. So cool, fast and consistent. this can be his season, because he always is consistent, rarely not in the points, and the standings shows it: 49 points for Burns, 44 for Sainz! Go King Carlos, GO!
But the season is still long, and the title che also go to Solberg, Martin or Gronholm, since retirement are not rare and can struck everybody.

As for the teams, well, Peugeot's lead is smaller the time passing, and now only 4 points separate Citroen from the first step of the podium. Ford and Subaru did the good operation this week end, with 10 and 11 points and both teams are now side by side, batling for third place in the general stangings. As for 5th and 6th, at the beginning of the season, it was clear the wooden spoon was for Hyundai, since it scored points only in the first event... now it's different.. during the last three rallies, the Accents always managed to bring home something, while the new Fabia never did good (at Cyprus it was still the Octavia), so nothing is settled...

This season IMO is one of the best of the last years! Finally here (like in F1), the games will be closed only with UK rally or in Spain maybe... very nice, very very nice!