View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM

More pics :arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=673001#673001

Yup, you got it right, JDTM.. D for Diesel :shock: EEEEEEEEKKKKK! Get me out of here! Yeh, the petrol head doesn't want to be involved in such demonic things actually, but when the only available test car is a diesel, it's either that or nothing. So I closed my eyes while approaching the car from the back, and jumped in

Specifications

Engine - I4, 2387cc
Power - 200 hp (147 kw) / 4000 rpm
Torque - 400 Nm / 2000 rpm
Weight w/ 75 kg driver - 1705 kg
Fuel Tank - 70 l
Max Speed (declared) - 228 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h w/ driver + 30 kg) - 8.4 s / 1000m in 29.2 s
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 5.4 / 9.2 / 6.8 l/100 km
Tranny - 6 speeds manual

Seats - 5
Doors - 4
Lenght / width - 4660 / 1828 mm
Height - 1471 (1422 with 17" wheels)
Boot - 405 dm3

Exterior

Well, the exterior IMO is totally spot on. The front is exactly the same as the Brera, and IMO the rear is even better. Probably just more classic ence easier on the eyes, but hell what a nice ass this car has, also thanks to the two exhaust exits, quite exposed while on most diesels they are hidden and pointed toward the road surface. Beautiful from every angle, especially in this dark blue finish I had. So italian, so different from all the Mercedes, Audis or BMW going around :good:

Interior

Predictably, you kinda have a similar feeling than in the Brera, and yet not exactly the same. Driving position for once is slightly different, you feel more "vertical" and higher. All the main controls feel good. Again, not as italian as they used to be, but much better than the sometimes boring although perfectly crafted German items.
Finished in a beautiful tan leather, this is definitely the color combo I'd want on mine! This or a full black if I'll feel more agressive
Anyway, inside it is roomy and comfy, at the front and at the back.

How does it drive?

Turn the key, wait in shame for a messy diesel idle to shake the car and surprise: nothing! Even at idle, this engine is scary silent: window down, you'd struggle to say it's indeed an oil burner. Shit! I want a diesel to be as crap as possible so I could hate them even more!
And once on the move, more surprises because the soundtrack, bassy and powerfull is not that bad! As bad isn't the performance. Of course it won't rev to 8000 rpm (although higher than what diesel could rev just a couple of years ago), but you can push the gears to the limiter and have some pleasure in the process. Afterall, 200 hp and 380 Nm isn't nothing. if you could the honest performance with the fact this car will easily be around 6 to 7 liters per 100 km, you can't deny the fact many ppl will be really interested in it.
Of course I sound as somebody who drove its last diesel 10 years ago, and well, it's pretty much the case this was just the second diesel car I personally drove, the other one being an old Seat Toledo some 6 or 7 years ago I know today's diesels are more refined compared to old ones, but still...
The chassis seems a good one although never took it to the limit. Suspensions filter the road as it should and you can cruise in this car to any speed and complete relax.
Despite the high torque and front wheel drive I never felt the drivetrain was overcome by that. There is an ounceof understeer obviously if you want to floor it in a tight corner, but since it isn't a supercar, this situations aren't it's natural ones.
Steering, pedal, everything feels well placed and ergonomic and you kinda feel like being in a cheaper Maserati!

What are the most positive features of the car?

Italian feeling, surprisingly quiet diesel engine

What are the most negative features of the car?

You'll hate yourself for having bought a diesel when you'll smell it leaving the car after every trip

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

I think finally Alfa has a car that can fight with the German competition: quality is really improved a lot and the general feeling you have is that of a very well built car. Couple this with a car looking better than any BMW/Audi/Merc and you have a winner

Conclusion

I came home with the firm idea the day I'll finally dump my 320, the 159 will be on top of my list! This is a hell of a good car, feels and is special. I still think the 3.2 V6 petrol engine is much more interesting than the 2.4 JTDM, which was for sure a good surprise and is better for fuel consumption and all.