View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #30
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by ikon2003
^Awesome pic.

Nice place to do the testing too - a straightaway. Get the 9ff there, and it should post an even faster time. (The banking robs speed - even a test track as large as Nardo. At nardo, the speed where the centrifugal forces balance with gravity [when you can theoretically drive with no hands on the wheel, and you won't crash into anything] is about 150 mph - anything above that and you start having extra friction.)
XP3 mclaren did 233mph at nardo
XP5 (above) did 240mph.
The 9ff could probably exceed 245mph there...but I still think it isn't breaking the F1's record, because it is no where near stock. Yes its a "road car", but a number of street legal & modified cars have gone (much) faster than the McLaren's 240.1mph. So why should the 9ff be considered special if other cars in the exact same category (street legal and modified) have gone much faster?

I'm not trying to take anything away from their achievement, its great, but I still don't understand the fuss.

Btw, the VW test track has 9km long straights... Even being that long, its amazing to watch the movie of the F1 there, and how quickly the McLaren accelerates to 370ish km/h and then just eats up that 9km! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote