View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #23
Mattk
Regular User

Did youget taught any non-revisionist politicla history at your schools?

You do kno wthat the US and Russia and China actually fought a surrogate war against each other all through the 70's and 80's in Afiica... oh wait that's right, the west was so obsessed with South Africa they failed to see the their government were scolding South Africa from one side of their mouths while sending cash for gold/platinum/aluminium/diamonds and uranium with the other. And the Russians and Chinese were using local warlords to do their dirty work.
Fair dinkum, didn't I just say 'True nonetheless'? I know about the whole war by proxy business. I'm not trying to dispute your facts. I just didn't think it was helpful to discuss it in the context of what we were on about.

Barely supported, it is not even recognised as a legitimate country. The west and the US give more recognition to Hezbollah than they do Taiwan.
Clear commit to defend Taiwan against China in the case of invasion is pretty darn good recognition, unlike Hezbollah, scheduled as a terrorist organisation in most countries' anti-terrorism legislation. I believe it is a 1979 Act that details the American promise. Same time as the Second Communique.

So, I have to ask, you being the hyper-educated legal beagle with all the inside Chino-global contact, do youhave an explanation as to why China has never bothered any of the communist dictatorships on the Asian continent after the Vietnam era conflict, yet has persisted in trying to undermine any local vestiges of peaceful/democratic states?
That's just incorrect, as China was fighting Vietnam after the Vietnam War. It's dubbed the Fourth Indochina War. Tibet was hardly democratic when China rolled in. North Korea, well, they were the same ethnicity and Communist back in 1949. I guess loyalties die hard, but you definitely have a point there. China supports North Korea as a bulwark against US activities in Taiwan, probably.

I do apologise if you thought I was insinuating you were racist. Your statement can be construed that way, but clearly it was not your intention. Security concerns about the Chinese government are certainly valid, and are in fact made manifest in terms of government hiring practices in Australia. Chinese-born people can't ever get security clearance to work in the Department of Defence, for instance.

I reckon this discussion is coming to a somewhat dignified end. I think we agree on most principles, just not as to extent.

Last edited by Mattk; 04-05-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Mattk is offline   Reply With Quote