View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Yeah... She's pretty dumb. My tips are usually proportional to how good the service was, but it's never below 10%. That's just being cheap. Tipping's such a big part of the way society works that I'm surprised to see anyone refuses to tip.

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Ususally the waiter has a tip sharing arrangement with the bus help, hostess, manager and bartender. Many times the sharing arrangement is governed by the restaurant owner and automatically deducted from the waiters paycheck as a percentage of gross sales. Large chains have been sued by class actions by former waiters as the manager should be paid by the restaurant only, not by the poor waiters.
Yeah. I had a talk with a friend who was (is?) a waitres and she told me about sharing her tips with the greeters who sit customers at the tables. They have such monetary connections that they just have to work together well enough to get most tip possible, otherwise they "lose" a lot of money. It's just how it works, and it's, usually by default, a large portion of a waiter/waitress' salary. It applies to same with pizza delivery people, I believe.