View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 AM   #65
ae86_16v
Regular User

Ecclestone admits missing Schumacher

F1 will be very different without Michael Schumacher
Bernie Ecclestone admitted on Tuesday that life is not quite the same without seven-time World champion Michael Schumacher as the 2007 season starts in Australia this weekend and that the sport must find a new superstar.

With Alonso aiming to take his third-consecutive World title, starting in Melbourne for Sunday's Australian Grand Prix, Ecclestone says Schumacher's absence leaves a big hole to fill.

"I'd like to think Formula One racing is greater than any one person, but as far as the sport is concerned, it is as if Tiger Woods had stopped playing golf," Ecclestone said in an interview with German sports agency SID. "Anyone, like Michael, who was amongst us for so long, I miss personally. I believe the sport needs superstars and now we must find another big name to take his place."

"When Michael Schumacher won everything, people thought Formula One was boring, but now he's gone, so has one of the sports big names. The special charm of sport stars is that people want to see them lose, it's like in tennis where people are waiting to see Roger Federer get beaten. It creates interest in the sport and hopefully we aren't too far away from finding Michael's successor."

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...13174350.shtml
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote