Thread: New Veyron Test
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #74
graywolf624
Regular User

Your response may be: well if the front outside tire has exceeded it's max grip level (i.e. understeer), does it really matter whether you can apply more at the rear? Well, in certain cases yes, because by increasing the torque at the outside rear wheel in this condition, you could increase weight transfer to the rear, and thereby decrease the (in general) over-loading condition at the front outside, while at the same time increasing the normal (and therefore Ff) force at the comparatively under-loaded rear wheel. This, is just one specific example of how AWD can benefit in the turns.
I just explained that to you 3 x.. The problem is with a heavier car the pressure on all 4 wheels is higher. Your assuming that the extra weight will only be encountered on the wheels that are overloaded first.

Oh, and I distinctly remember audi entering American race series, about 20 years ago, in I believe Trans-Am and some other series, where they cleaned up so convincingly with their 'outlandish' and 'ponderous' AWD sedans. This also happened in the Australian touring car series in the late 90s with the A4. I'm sure their are other examples people can come up with.
Cars that weigh mid 2000 lbs.. car that weighs over 4000... Any question? No one said AWD wasn't nice, we said it isnt going to make up for 1000 lbs of extra weight.

Hmmm, what exactly is that I have stated which would validate this claim? I have specifically provided the example of the steady-state max. lateral accel. rate condition, as it is the easiest to define from a physics/mathematics standpoint (i.e. objectively again). I am not aware of having downplayed the importance of turn-in, or the transient conditions
What you don't seem to get is, it is the easiest to show because it doesnt really exist.. It isn't reality. In the real world their is no steady state.

As you yourself have mentioned, since the Ff is mu*Fn, the Ff increases with mass... As long as tires are sized appropriately and can therefore handle the heat energy into them, all should be well.
Yet again, show mathmatically its possible for it to be high enough to make up for the weight. It isn't. The heat energy has absolutley nothing to do with it.. All you need to do is switch the compound on the tire to one that operates at the appropriate temp. The reality is, there is a bell curve on the ideal weight of cars. 4000 lbs is over that.

Where exactly?
The article only tells you about a million times it handles better then expected.. It doesnt say it handles great. Ask yourself why the choice in wording and why it doesnt say it handles better then the enzo?

...and your proof is where exactly? BTW, the only credible track test I am aware of in the public media pitting (with the same driver) the Enzo against the CGT and SLR, and Murcie for good measure, was the ams review from many moons ago, where they recorded top speeds at Nardo (which, surprise, surprise the Enzo won, kind of like a Veyron would now...). More importantly, in the area where any real supercar should show its peers who's boss, at an actual road course, guess who won? No, not the esteemed light on its heels Enzo; rather the 'old school' CGT, by approximately 1s. Yes, it was a 'tightish' course, but the CGT also smoke all of its peers in 200 km/h - 0 as well. So, in my not so humble opinion, I wouldn't choose the Enzo as your 'best-in-class' benchmark. FYI, I posted this ams video here a while back. It was obviously based on their mag article, which included the braking data. I have that copy (somewhere as well).
Do show me where I ever compared or commented on the enzo versus the cgt? I never once touched that arguement.. This is the Veryon versus the enzo.. or hell.. the veryon vs the cgt.. Both will win exactly what Im telling you about. Theres a reason the Veryon has been tracked very little.
It wouldnt suprise me if it never is, they aren't going to want its weak spots displayed officially, and mainstream mags tend to favor tests that favor the given car.

So, I guess evo et al should pack their bags, since you guys are the unofficial experts, and your statements should never be questioned? Regarding the comparative track data, as I have stated before, check out revlovers.com, as they actual ran a couple Veyrons against pretty much everything that is fast, including the 'beloved' Enzo. BTW, it wasn't even mentioned as a comparable to the Veyron, when they ran it at Hockenheim.
First off, evo are not all that impressive. None of the mainstream rags have that much in terms of pro drivers. If I were using a reliable source id be more likely to use smaller racing oriented mags. That being said it doesn't have anything to do with unofficial experts.. It has to do with simple physics. (And for the record I don't know who these revolver.com people are.. )

As for Hockenheim.. Define what you consider it, a tight, mid, or a open track.. Im curious... I'll give you a hint, I wouldnt change its classification much over the last 30 years even with the redesign.

Do yourself a favor.. Sit down and think about it.. Theres a reason very few racing cars (excluding of course off road cars like wrc) are awd. If you could simply build a 4000 lb awd car with a great suspension and handle better then a 3000 lb or lighter rwd car.. Don't you think everyone would be doing it?