View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #38
StanAE86
Regular User

That's Dan Kennedy in the video...and some stupid GF.

As much as I like reading nth vs. everyone else and would love to play devil's advocate, I gotta' agree with the masses here...Dan doesn't know what he's doing.

The problem he's having is maintaining the slip angle of the car. He's nailing the throttle to break traction, but once it does, he's letting off again, causing the car to grip again. Typical beginner drift problem. So, what you're seeing is the car fighting between the threshold of grip and slip. You've got these huge rear tires on the thing, so if you want the car to slip/drift, you've got to apply a fair amount of power. Once you let off, the tires bite.

He also looks like he's adding too much steering input when he tries to break traction. By doing that, the car goes into a tight spin when it loses traction, but that's not what Dan looks like he wants. It looks like he wants to do a big donut (drift a big circle), so, he lets up on the gas to stop the spinning, in hopes that it will give him the chance to dial out steering and do a bigger donut. But when he does that, the tires bite, he doesn't have enough throttle to break the rear tires and he pushes.

I had this problem on my old...Corolla. haha. Now hear me out...drifting the AE86 was a blast. However, when I rebuilt it for high power, I had to relearn to drive the car. Dicking around in a skidpad, I had the same problems that Dan is having in the video. I would hit the accelerator and turn the steering and start pushing because I didn't have enough power to break the rear tires loose. Then, the turbo would kick in and break rear traction...but then...I would have too much steering input and the car would spin out. If I lifted on the throttle, the tires would bite again, and I would push. Dan's situation is the same, but he's being awfully rough with the throttle, rather than modulating it. If he tried harder, he could do the big drift because the motor is n/a and the power is linear and right there. Whereas I struggled at first, because of the turbo lag the car had.

In the end, nth...YOU'RE WRONG!!

Although I do think the McLaren is probably harder to drive, I don't think it's a poor handling car by any means...

Maybe he should have given me the McLaren and he could practice in the Corolla...