View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
racer_f50
Regular User

In elementary school, up to maybe age 10, I was mostly into pop music, such as Michael Jackson and Boys 2 Men, and even some Fresh Prince here and there. My mom listened to rock, though, so I did like Def Lepard, Aerosmith, and AC/DC.

Thankfully around 10, one of my friends introduced me to Metallica (the black album) and Offspring (Smash), and from there I ditched pop music.

Gradually I got into more rock bands (in both metal and punk, never got into ska). Probably from age 12 - 16 I listened to a lot of punk, ranging from Blink182 and Offspring to less main-stream stuff such as The Lunachicks and Electric Frankenstein (I still listen to those 4, actually, just not as much and never buy anythign new).

This whole time I was also increasing my collection of hard rock/metal, though, which eventually led to my current distaste for punk. The talent involved in making metal just struck me as thousands of times greater than some pot-head teens randomly strumming a guitar and rapidly hitting drums with no apparent rythmn.

I also went through a phase of listening to gansta rap, thanks to my friend Jimmy who I skated with. Dr. Dre, Easy-E, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Sir Mix-a-lot (not really gansta rap 90% of the time)...then eventually to Eminem and 50 cent. I'll still listen to this stuff occassionally when I need a change of pace.

Currently I'd say metal and industrial are my genres of choice. I've got every Metallica, Marilyn Manson, and Cannibal Corpse album, nearly every Anthrax CD, a few Guns & Roses, Otep, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Nightwish, Orgy, KMFDM, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Deicide, Amon Amarth, Shadows Fall, and so on.....
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote