View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #233
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Hmm, I wonder about this, if it was such a big deal wouldn't car manufactures tell us more (maybe they do, but I've sure missed it). And if it is so bad, how come more transmissions are dieing...most of the time I sit at a light in neutral and then put it in 1st, and my 1st gear is fine, its my 2nd & 3rd gears that have worn syncros... :fadein:
shifting at higher revs, and hard transitions offers more damage to the individual syncros... i know they bolster usually 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd on proper sports cars (the STi, the 04 Cobra both have tripple cone syncros on 1-3rd) the Ford GT has then through 4th gear, and dubble cone on 5th/6th i believe...

cars like a sentra (if your driving one) im guessing 2nd and 3rd arent nearly as beefed up as 1rst... and im guessing you usually ease out of neutral at low revs, but shift progresively higher?

i have no real idea where i shifted my bronco at... as i didn't have a tach... however, i shifted where i felt i was loosing power, and was ideal to take the next gear... but that engine was very tired, so im guessing i never shifted higher then 3500 lol

this is definately a question for somebody who knows transmissions a bit better, however.