View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
I think i want that lense for my canon :shock:

what lense did you use for your second picture?
The same one.....

Originally Posted by TT
Very very nice shots, but please, post some infos about the settings used on both pics
The pictures contain full EXIF. But here we go:

Picture 1:
Code:
829a	ExposureTime	1/100
8827	ISOSpeedRatings	400
9202	ApertureValue	4.0
920a	FocalLength	70.0
And quite some processing in Photoshop. Shot in RAW (I always do), added vignetting, gradual levels layer, curves, hue/saturation.

Picture 2:
Code:
829a	ExposureTime	1/100
9202	ApertureValue	4.0
8827	ISOSpeedRatings	400
920a	FocalLength	70.0
And I used a Speedlite 420EX, aimed direct and without the omnibounce, FEL set at -2 as a fillflash.

Originally Posted by TT
I'd like also to know how much you paid (if you want), where you got it, and a short review compared to your other lenses.

Thanks
I paid €659 at Crown, some guy in the Netherlands only known on internetforums. He exports a lot of stuff to Russia etc, and has no webshop or so. I'm waiting for my €100 cashback from Canon.

I already sold my Sigma 70-300 APO DG, so I can't do a direct comparison, but I know it well enough to compare. First thing I noticed, it's fast! The focus-speed has to be experienced to be believed, a whole different level compared to consumer-lenses. Colors are nice and warm, but not over-saturated or Sigma-yellow, etc. And it's sharp! I couldn't see a difference at F/4 or F/8 when I tested it.

I received my custom bank-card and wanted to post a picture of it. The 70-200 was on the camera on my desk, so I used that. I wondered why my card looked a bit smudgy, until realizing I was looking at 200% in Photoshop! After examing the card a bit more and closer, I could indeed see the texture. So yes, it is really sharp! Here's the pic I'm talking about:

The lens is quite heavy, heavier than what I used to carry around, but that doesn't botter me at all. Hey, I'm a healthy 23-year-old. It also looks quite supicious when using outside (like in the Christmas-shopping-pic), but that doesn't bother me at all. As long as the pics look good.

My payment on the 17-40 F/4 L just got confirmed, so I hope to receive it tomorrow. If it's just as sharp/fast (should be even faster), I'm gonna be a happy camper.

Oh, and on another positive note: my Cokin set that was in backorder for over a month just arrived. I've got the filterholder, 67 & 77mm adapter-rings, a graduated ND8 hard edge (P121) and a ND8 (P154):

Oh, and to top it off I ordered this (from eBay/HongKong) tuseday:
- Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord 2 23.00GBP
- HOYA 77 mm HMC Multi-Coated UV Filter 9.99 GBP
- Canon Genuine Lens Dust Cap E (rear lens cap) 0.99 GBP

All that should keep me busy for a while. 8)