View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #69
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by Sir_GT
^^^ Interestingly enough, your (US) E90's have yellow indicator lights on the headlamps, whereas the European ones are clear.
I have a feeling that will be an option sooner or later. The E46 had amber corner markers at first as well, but i think the coupe got clear markers.

@ saddie- no problem 8)
Originally Posted by bmwdakias
I have spoted that probably all BMWs in the US dont have totally clear indicator markers, a quick check on the US website will confirm that.Its not that they are completely orange but their edges are not clear.Is there a law or sth requiring this? In a way it has a small negative effect on the looks and i dont see a reason unless its due to law restrictions.
US Regulation states that there must be an Amber reflector of some sorts in the front area, so cars coming from the side could see you. This is the same with the rear end, where it is a Red reflector.

It could be either in the front corner signal lamps or the taillamps. But it must be there. If you look at the current E46s, they have clear corner lamps but they still have a bumper reflector. Same as the E85 Z4, there are these circular reflectors on the front and rear bumpers. Before this year they had the Amber reflector inside the turn signal so this was not needed. But this year they started making the entire front end all clear.

Now if the taillights or headlights wrap around to the side then it could be within the housings, if not then you have to have a reflector.

And I think the blinkers must be Amber/Yellow no matter what.

I think starting with the E39 and later, all sport models had clear lamps and all regular non-sport had fully amber turn signals.

Did I make myself clear?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote