View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 02:20 AM   #20
troskap
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
The mustang wont be a competitor to the gto. The gto would out handle the mustang any day of the week and has a far more userful everyday setup. Furthermore, the mustang only has a real market for the v6 and style, 60 percent of sales are v6. For the gto to be its competitor itd have to have a v6 car thats slow and in that price range. Simply put, the buyers looking for a mustang arent going to even look at a gto and vice versa. The buyers of a bmw or other coupe that desires power,luxury, and handling will. There main competition will be bmw (whether you think it succeeds or not is not really what matters). Pontiac has even said as much (not to mention notice the sudden upscale quality of the interior). (And dare I said it, some people have suggested that bmw is now attempting to copy pontiac styling. It could be fairly interesting)..
A V6 car that's slow and in that price range? Sounds like my Grand Prix we're talking about... OK, maybe not so slow As to the GTO versus BMW, I'll agree your point has some merit to it. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. I just think Pontiac would be getting ahead of itself if it's trying to shoot for BMW, at least not for a little while longer yet. The build quality and the interior work is definitely improving, but still needs a bit of work. RIght now, though, the GTO seems quite ready to give the Mustang GT buyers a good change of heart. Stomp on a little of the Mustang's turf first, then we can bring on BMW

Oh and as someone who has inside track on loss of the firebird and camaro. Neither was due to sales. They actually made money on last few years of cars. The issues were 2 fold: The contract with the workers and the factory had come up.(they closed said factory and under contract had to also stop production of the car till at least 2007.
2. The car was due for a remodeling and at the current time a budget had not been affixed to the car.)
Alright. Sounds pretty logical to me. Won't argue the point - I've heard 50 million other things already.

(And on that point, good luck, Corvette - don't get left behind too far at the starting line...)
Trying to figure out what you meant by this? The current zo6 is the best performance buy in the us under 60000 dollars. The damn thing handles really well(I can doubly say this after seeing it at ra over the weekend) and it accelerates balls out. The current version is easier to drive then the viper and competitive in performance numbers.
As for the c6, rumour has it the displacement on demand gen IV smallblock will have 500x500 numbers. The mustang has never and will never compete with the vette.
Oh, I do love the Z06. I've had a chance to toss the latest version around on some lovely windy roads a few months ago, and I know the car is downright fantastic - I'd love to get one, if I could put out the money for one. As to the Mustang vs. Vette...that's not the contest I was thinking about. I was a bit more ponderous about how the Vettes would stack up against the latest and greatest of its European counterparts. I'll just smile politely and knowingly the next time someone tries to run the Mustang up on it

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
40th Anniversary Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica
#812/1500
troskap is offline   Reply With Quote