View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 PM   #18
troskap
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
Judging by those stats, I don't see how the GTO can be a rivel for Ferrari...
Errr... rival for a Ferrari? For Ferrari's sake, I HOPE this car isn't a rival for the Ferrari, otherwise Ferrari has more coming to it

Comparing the GTO to practically any Ferrari is like trying to see if the slingshot can keep up with the handgun - no chance in hell! Putting a car that will cost around the $30K-$35K that it's supposedly going to run versus a car that runs somewhere in the 6 digit range is a bit of a push
Frankly, there's only one real competitor that I think Pontiac's worried about keeping up with, and it's name is M-U-S-T-A-N-G. Pontiac lost a great deal when it had to retire the Trans Am/Firebird line, whether it be for the inability to meet safety specs, the super-low sales thanks to some rather lame lack of advertising, or whatnot. It's trying to spring back into the market, once again. If it were gunning for Porsche and Ferrari, I don't think Pontiac would be pricing this as 'low' as it is. (And on that point, good luck, Corvette - don't get left behind too far at the starting line...)

I imagine in Europe, this car's going to get a lukewarm reception in it's Vauxhall guise. Over here, with our overly politicized, overly environmentalized government systems, most of the cars you can enjoy in Europe never make it over here, or end up being pillowed and pig-heavy versions to safety compromises. (You lucky bastards!) So we tend to get excited at these comparatively bland choices. Pardon our childish glee at such simple fare

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
40th Anniversary Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica
#812/1500
troskap is offline   Reply With Quote