View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #15
TransAm
Regular User

Thanks for posting the pics up, Sir_120d! You knew I was waiting to see the new car! Well congratulations!

BMWs eh? Well the Z3 3.0 I had was probably the best car I ever owned in many respects - quality, handling, etc. The Z3s were assembled here in the US and overall a well-built and screwed together car. I'm a fan of the blue and white propellor for sure.

I know exactly what you mean about the power dissipating quickly in diesels - the PSA 1.9TD they put in the ZX and 306 was very much like that, great til about 3750rpm then it all dies off very quick. Dads 120hp Laguna DCi doesnt seem as bad, doesnt run out of breath as early, but still dies all of a sudden at 4500rpm. I am sure the software upgrade will only improve on the current characteristics. When I upgraded I noticed TONS more torque at low revs and a bit of a powerband from 4.5-6k. Although mine is petrol of course.

As for the hiss you heard, I would very much think that your turbo system has a bypass valve in it somewhere and that is what you can hear. A BPV doesnt necessary vent to the atmosphere, but back into the induction system hence you can hardly hear it at all. It will become more prominent after you drop in a K&N and change the exhaust, even just a catback. Again, this is what I did to the Saab and I can now hear the whoosh as it spools up and a psst as it vents. It's not really loud or anything like a blowoff valve, and if I did an incar vid I am not even sure you'd hear it over the amibent noises that'd get recorded.

Enjoy the new car, at least its RWD!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote