Thread: Playstation 3
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #26
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
^^^ sport games are better on XBOX IMO, and halo rules all FPS and so are GTA games.
I prob. will end up getting both, hell I have both now
just xbox games will look better. if a game comes out for both xbox and ps3 I will always get the xbox one
Well, if you're getting both systems, then the comparison point doesn't mean diddly squat either. :p

Thing is, if you're like 80% of the gaming population (kids who depend on either their allowance or parents to pay for the systems), you're only going to get one console.

Which in this case, would be the one with the best (and most) exclusives, and that would be the PS3.

BTW, I found this on another forum:

Thanks for that m(_ _)m Your find is the most informative description yet, and it has helped me understand the numbers behind the systems a lot more than I did before.

So in short:

Sony’s PS3 processor is stronger than Microsoft’s XBOX 360.

Microsoft’s XBOX 360’s ATI graphics core maybe capable of 48-pipelines while Sony’s PS3’s Nvidia graphics processor might have just 24-pipelines.

Sony & Microsoft have taken different roads, but their memory power seems to be equal.

The PS3 supports 6 USB 2.0 ports, a memory stick slot, an SD slot, compact flash, and a removable HD (TBA). The XBOX 360 supports two memory card slots (memory starts at 64MB), 3 USB 2.0 slots, plus 20GB HD.

The PS3 will support Blu-ray media (54GB) and the XBOX 360 will support dual layer DVDs (9GB). Both systems will support all conventional CDs and DVD, and even user created DVDs.

The PS3’s A/V output hookups have two HDMI outputs working simultaneously outputting 1080p video streams allowing for dual-screen HDTV gaming! XBOX 360’s A/V hasn’t been finalized, but it is expected to be more practical with its 720p and 1080i supports.

The PS3 has a built-in Ethernet adapter, and also includes an 802.11 b/g wireless adapter. The XBOX 360 also has a built-in Ethernet adapter, but with the 802.11 a/b/g wireless adapter at an extra cost.

Wow! That’s a lot to digest But it looks like the XBOX 360 only beats the PS3 in one area: graphics.

But I’m sure we all know that it’ll all come down to video game programmers to find ways around a machines handicap to make it shine through in the end—isn’t the PS2 an inferior machine to the XBOX now? It sure is putting up quite a fight!

I must admit, before the stats came out, I had already decided on purchasing a PS3. I love Sony products, and I love my PS2! The lineup of games is pretty damn sweat to boot. Although, I’m a little worried about the cost of games (Blu-ray disks aren’t cheap), I’m happy Sony has chosen to go with Blu-ray. I’m all for more content in games. Wasn’t the reason Tekken 5 has only what it has is because of the limitations of DVD I’m not complaining! Tekken 5 has a lot of goodies.

I wonder if the days of console exclusive titles are now over. It looks like Square Enix has made a deal with Microsoft and has agreed to offer Final Fantasy to the new system too. I was never really a fan of console exclusive titles, so I hope it does become a trend in the future

kuri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You didn't read the article too well.

While the ATI chip used in the X360 has 48 pipelines, they are in fact weaker than the pipelines in the Nvidea chip. Basically they increased the pipelines, but decreased their power, perhaps speed? But it's stlil too early to tell if it's "better" or not. From waht I've seen, no, it's not...but we'll see.
We've got one side saying that the 360 will have better graphics, while another saying it would be the PS3.

I myself saw the news report about the consoles on BBC, and they showed a few clips, and they reckoned that the PS3 had better graphics than the 360.

If that holds true... that means there would be no reason to buy the 360 except for Halo.